Monday, May 14, 2012

Chuy's copycat green sauce

Chuy's is on of my favorite places to eat.. mainly because of their creamy jalapeno sauce. If you haven't had a chance to go to a Chuy's or don't live near one (It's a TEXAS food chain).. I have the perfect copy cat recipe so you can enjoy at home. What's even better is this is literally the simplest recipe I've ever come across in my entire life. It is also the BEST dip you've ever tasted. Your mouth will thank you. It has a little kick but you can add less jalapenos to soften the kick. You'll want to put this on everything... enchiladas, tacos, chips (specially the HINT OF LIME chips), hamburgers, cereal...


Here is what what you'll need: (if it's just you or if you just want to experiment to see if you like it, I recommend you half everything because it makes a pretty big batch.)

*1 quart mayo
*1 cup buttermilk
*1 cup jalapenos (I used jarred but I'm switching to fresh the next time I make it. I also add a little juice.)
*1 cup tomatillo sauce (I found mine at Kroger BUT they aren't going to carry it anymore so try H.E.B.!)
*1/2 bunch of cilantro (The recipe I found said chopped but I didn't chop)
*3 packs dry ranch mix

1 quart is equal to 4 cups. I bought the regular jar of Mayo and a small squeezie jar. The jar won't have enough Mayo.. it only has about 3 and a half cups so I just squeezed some out of the other jar to help bring it up to 4 cups. 

You'll find buttermilk by the milk :)

Pushing the cilantro in. This is my favorite part because cilantro is the heart of all good foods. This is also the part we noticed that we were going to overflow our 7 cup blender. So, we poured HALF of what we already had in the blender (mayo, buttermilk and cilantro) into a bowl. At the end we would pour the other half into that bowl and whisk feverishly for a few minutes. 

1 cup of jalapenos with a little of the juice. 

1 cup of tomatillo sauce. Don't forget to look at H.E.B. for this NOT Kroger!

Opps! Clean up on isle 4!!

Since we were in such a tizzy after spilling the tomatillo sauce I forgot to take a picture of us adding the ranch dry mix! But go ahead and add that in at this time. 

THEN -- pulse/blend for about 5 minutes. It's noisy but worth it!

Now remember I told you we poured half out into a bowl? Now after you pulse/blend for 5 minutes add that to the half you might have had to pour out (if your blender is big enough then you don't have to worry) Here I am about to start whisking my little heart out! I whisked for just a few minutes until I saw everything was nice and blended. 

NOW THE BEST PART!!

I promise this will be a hit anytime you make it. I made it for my graduation party (the whole recipe) and it was gone in about an hour. So I hope you enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to comment and I'll be as helpful as possible :) 

This one is DEFINITELY a pin!  

22 comments:

  1. I love Chuy's green sauce and live in Texas too!

    I am going to need to make this soon....and maybe have a margarita with it! =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower and would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heather!

    Thank you so much for your nice comment! This sauce is the best. My dad now requires I make it once a week. I keep adding different twists to it.. like vinegar or sour cream.

    I just visited you website and it is SO cute! I am now YOUR newest follower too! Thank you for following mine! I am just getting started so it's pretty excited for me when I get one new follower! :)

    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the ranch mix necessary? That's probably a dumb question since there are three packs....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helps give it a little kick or something extra, I've toned it down to 2 packs now though! It gets a little too salty otherwise! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. What about Herdez salsa verde, you can find it most anywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look at that next time I go to the store! Thank you for the suggestion!!

      Delete
  5. Samantha, I came across this on Pinterest and decided to try your recipe, I've been looking for something interesting to add as a dip for my upcoming New Years / birthday party. This dip is so awesome!! Thank you so much for putting on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! You are very welcome!!

      Delete
  6. If you add avocados, tastes better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oOooo I love avocados! I will DEF try that next time! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  7. I absolutely LOVE this dip. My mom makes it (minus the tomato sauce) & I can eat the entire thing in one sitting(healthy, i know:/.) I'll eat it on ANYTHING & it's a HUGE hit every time we make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can eat the whole thing in one sitting too! I'm craving some right now but seeing that it's 10:30pm the night before NYE, I don't see myself running off to the store for all the supplies! Glad you enjoy and thank you for reading!

      Delete
  8. I wonder if you could you use plain, Greek yogurt instead of the mayo or half and half of each. Mayo is not the healthiest, but does make things taste better! Has anyone tried Greek yogurt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't tried the greek yogurt! Althought I did try sour cream the other night because I had no buttermilk and it helped thicken it up... plus I think it tasted WAAAY better! Next time I'll try the greek yogurt thing out! Thanks for the suggestion!!

      Delete
  9. how long will this keep? it seems like it makes a lot, but being from Texas I know how good it is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how long it lasts since it goes so quickly!! Although I'm sure the mayo limits how long it'll last... I know we snack on it for 2/3 days before we toss it. Keep it cold when you're not using it... if you're having a party put half of it in a small bowl and put the big bowl in the fridge... then refill the small bowl as needed! Hope that helps!!

      Delete
  10. So glad to find this recipe. I love this dip at Chuys.
    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  11. going to give this a try, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tip! throw everything in a large bowl and use an immersion blender! so easy and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the real recipe by an owner/manager of Chuy's that I found:

    http://www.newson6.com/story/18766620/chuys-deluxe-tomatillo-sauce-and-deluxe-tomatillo

    I make the substitute for sour cream, Crème Fraiche:
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/CremeFraiche.htm

    It will not break down if over-heated. In the winter I use an old desk lamp with an old light bulb (puts out heat)and set my jar under it---this needs heat to make it thicken. Takes at least 24 hours if not longer. In summer time I set it out on my washer in my garage and shake it when I go by. I also like the taste better. I'm not a big fan of SC

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the real recipe by an owner/manager of Chuy's that I found:

    http://www.newson6.com/story/18766620/chuys-deluxe-tomatillo-sauce-and-deluxe-tomatillo

    I make the substitute for sour cream, Crème Fraiche:
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/CremeFraiche.htm

    It will not break down if over-heated. In the winter I use an old desk lamp with an old light bulb (puts out heat)and set my jar under it---this needs heat to make it thicken. Takes at least 24 hours if not longer. In summer time I set it out on my washer in my garage and shake it when I go by. I also like the taste better. I'm not a big fan of SC

    ReplyDelete