Thursday, December 22, 2011

Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

I saw this while browsing Pinterest last night and I remembered a first grade class doing it once and how DELICIOUS it smelled! I could even smell it down the hallway! The best part is that this is NO BAKE! I mean you really can't mess this up!

You'll need:
  • 3/4 cup Applesauce
  • 4 oz. Ground Cinnamon
  • Wooden rolling pin and cutting board
  • Mixing bowl
  • Cookie cutters
  • Straw
  • Knifes/Thin spatula
  • Cooling rack
Measure out 3/4 cup of applesauce and put into a mixing bowl.  Then dump in your ground cinnamon.
^^ It's a mountain! ^^

Now it's time to mix it all up! Except I came upon a problem, it wasn't mixing well! Oh no.. who knows what to do!? (If you have read 'King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey & Don Wood you'll understand!)
I knew what to do....
^ See now the texture was just right. Everything was mixed in perfectly! ^


So then I rolled it out. This is how I rolled it out...
And this is how Meme rolled it out...

Now it's time to get to cuttin'!
^ Meme making sure the ornaments are smooth on top. ^

Oh... how'd I get those little holes at the top of my ornaments? Like this...
^^ Just poke your straw through and twist.. the circle might not come out but that's ok because when you lift them off the cutting board you can push the straw through again or it might just fall out!

Let's talk about lifting these babies off the board... I read off the original posting that she used a spatula. WELL that just wasn't working for us...
The spatula was misshapping our ornaments!

 
Then... Meme had an idea...
And it worked perfectly!!

Now lay them on your cooling rack...

 This was a ball we made of the leftovers, we punched a hole all the way through.

So now... it's time to wait and see if they harden! I broke this project up into two postings. So you'll have to wait and see what they turn out to be tomorrow! That is if they are dry, I finished them at 10:15pm central time. I will be checking them through the day tomorrow. It is recommended at least a day before adding the ribbons and date on the back. But so far...

This one is DEFINITELY a pin!


5 comments:

  1. Thank you Marissa! They also smell AMAZING!!! I wish there was such thing as "smell-a-vison" so y'all could smell how good they smell! Guess y'all have to make them at home to see (or I mean smell!) Ha-Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha, checked them at 8:00am and they are looking great ... can't wait for the finished product. Aren't you smart and I loved being your helping hand! Meme

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked them too at noon and they are still soft in the middle but they are looking pretty hard on the outside! I can't wait to get them strung up too! Well thank you for always helping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, let's get the ribbon on them, okay?

    ReplyDelete